Friday 20 November 2009

Faltering Steps to recovery: self confessed twitterholic


Ok, so its been a week now, 7 days since I closed my twitter account and instantaneously lost contact with all the tweeps I knew and loved, and so far I'm still alive....I have been trying really hard to get along with facebook but to be honest I'm just not feeling the love. I have withdrawal symptoms, as bad as any I have suffered from nicotine withdrawal. I think a lot about the twitter pals I tweeted with regularly, well I did tweet every day practically for the past 6 months with these people, and some, a few favourite tweeps. I have linked up with on facebook. One very special twitter pal and I have become penfriends! A shaft of light in the darkness! Its friday tomorrow, Follow Friday and for the second time in 6 months I will not be taking part. When you consider that I tortured Darren in our trip to Amsterdam to make sure that I accessed an internet cafe to ensure I posted my FF recommendations, you may understand, that this is not something I am finding easy. Work collegues have noticed that I am not quite myself, and when I explain that I'm missing twitter some have responded with either blank stares, or retort with "well it's probably for the best, you did take it all sooooooo seriously." Yes, thanks for that, as if I don't know I took it all too seriously, wouldn't I still be on, twittering away if I had just treated it as a laugh? Funny though, it started out just being a bit of a laugh, before 'personal dynamics' came into the equation. I have tried to be addicted to housework (big fail!) or focus more on my work and family, but alone, driving on the long trek home, in the dark, and lately the rain, my mind wanders to my tweeps, I worry a bit that something terrible may have happened to someone I care about and I don't know because of my self-imposed exile. The 'what if'....scenarios enter my head, and by the time I'm home I am washed out with worrying. So, in truth I have cheated, I have peeked in from time to time via Darren's account and searched some of my previous friends accounts, just to make sure they are still tweeting, still there. Lurking behind the curtains, finding comfort in familure words, faces. Yes I know I'm sad, I know I sound nuts, so it is with addiction. My name is Debbie, and I am a recovering twitterholic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Debs, I am no expert at quitting, the only things I've given up are sobriety and being beneath accepting pity sex, but a wistful longing for something that you loved, that loved you back, doesn't make you fat and frankly, made you a star... I would think better of you if you returned.
It goes without saying... I have will back you right or wrong, Twitter battles are all about picking a team and sticking with it... 
Just a thought...