Wednesday 23 September 2009

We are off to Amsterdam!!! Goddammit!


I love to travel, and now that my kids are no longer attached to my breast (youngest22!) the opportunities to travel are greater now than at any other time in my life. Last year Darren and I had a fantastic Road trip starting in Toronto(Canada)-Saint Catharines ( my birthplace)-Niagra-Buffalo-Salem (Mass.)-Boston-Mystic (Conn.)-New York. Before this trip I has preconceived idea's about USA and Americans, that, as I discovered were completely wrong! I loved being in Canada, and despite my protestations that I didn't miss Canada I had a huge emotional response to my place of birth, and when I stepped into the street (Mackie Avenue, Port Dalhousie, Ontario) where I spent the first 8 years of my life I felt overwhelmingly that I was home. I have always felt a bit of a 'blow in' in Ireland, I was brought up as a Protestant, but never felt in tune with loyalist, or Unionist traditions. When I made friends with Irish Nationalists, while studying BA in Fine Art, I had great sympathy with the Nationalist cause, and traditional Irish music did (and still does) make me wish that I had Celtic blood racing through my veins. I couldn't say that growing up in Belfast I felt different, infact ,I tried really hard to fit in,memories of my first year in a Belfast primary school and being asked to swear in a Canadian accent for the amusement of my P4 classmates,( I think they mostly turned into Loyalist paramilitaries, although 2 died in IRA bombs).

But, I felt at home in Canada, so much so, that on our return, I asked my kids to move with us( I still hold a Canadian Passport and my kids also qualify for one), but they were reluctant. So we will have to see how that goes. the dream is not completely dead. So, any way, where was I? Oh yes back to today, this morning in fact, Darren and I are heading to Amsterdam, he booked this trip to commemorate our 10 years of being a couple ( married for past 4).  Later discovered that we will be in the Dam in time to take part in the 'Free Iran' protest. Great! Darren says he is not protesting, but making sure I don't get arrested! If you follow me on Twitter you will know that the situation in Iran is one I have become passionate about. All those kids, murdered, raped and tortured! I look at those faces, innocents slain and I think, that could have been any of my children, is anyone above and beyond the risk of being a victim from  tyranny or oppression? Our past conflict is not so far away in terms of time or memory to comfortably believe that. So the ability to add my voice to the throng of others demanding the world take notice,and act to stop the horror that is happening on a daily basis, is not one I want to miss. Also a fellow tweeter @velvetescape is an Amsterdammer, and hearing we will be there tweeted me and offered to meet for coffee. So that is happening(if I don't get arrested ) on Thursday, all this and the unique Amsterdam culture awaits. So excited.

No comments: